Feedback for next iteration of committee/project user management

Those are great additions @emsearcy, there have been a few requests given within the community regarding committee/project management I’ll reiterate here.

Feedback from @Brian_Warner

Current behavior in Committees:

• Authorized project administrators have to view members of a committee page by page.
  • Authorized project administrators can search for committee members by name, and if voting status is enabled filter by role and voting status.

New (proposed) behavior in Committees:

• Authorized project administrators are able to view all members of a committee, as opposed to having pagination.
  • Authorized project administrators are able to sort committee members by name, email, affiliation, and voting status.

Conversation: Set up project committees to improve coordination, reporting, and meeting management - Content & Articles - LFX Community Forums

Feedback from @John_Mertic

• Authorized project administrators are able to add a person to multiple committees one at a time.
  • Authorized project administrators can access LFID profile picture of committee members.

• Authorized project administrators add a person to multiple committees at once.
  • Authorized project administrators have access to the LFID bio, profile picture, and social handles for their committee members.

Conversation: Set up project committees to improve coordination, reporting, and meeting management - Content & Articles - LFX Community Forums

Feedback from @Kenny_Paul:

• The name, company, primary email, and title a user sets in their LFID profile is used for their contact information when the user is shown in PCC. A PCC administrator cannot change an existing LFID profile.
  • Authorized administrators set the company “Individual - No Account” ( https://nonameaccount.com ) to affiliate a committee member as an individual contributor.

• Authorized project administrators can declare committee members as individual contributors, without inputting a company or job title.

Conversation: How does one add an individual contributor to a committee? - Get LFX Tool Help - LFX Community Forums

Feedback from @Brian_Warner, @Kenny_Paul , and @Neal_Caidin.

• When adding a new committee member, the “Job Title” field is required for project administrators.

• The “Job Title” field when adding a new committee member is optional for authorized project administrators.

Why

1. An individual contributor would not need a job title entered.

Conversations: How does one add an individual contributor to a committee? - Get LFX Tool Help - LFX Community Forums
Set up project committees to improve coordination, reporting, and meeting management - Content & Articles - LFX Community Forums

1 Like

I’ll add another one that I’ve run into recently. Sometimes the affiliation is genuinely “None” - hobbyists, students, retirees, etc.

With free-form entry we’ll probably get a lot of variations of “None”, “Nope”, “Nooo”, “N/A”, etc. Is there a way to surface a “No affiliation” option to a user so they know how to enter no affiliation in a consistent way? In SFDC this would be the equivalent of “Individual - No Account”.

Thanks!

1 Like

Good idea Brian. I suspect many of these “None” variants are mostly coming from the SSO/LFX integration included in webinar registrations, but we’ll see if the Core team can identify the source, since that would affect where that option would need to be surfaced. I also believe there is a backend team that would be merging these as duplicate organizations with the “Individual - No Account” organization … I’ll see if that process is on hold and expected to resume.

1 Like

Thanks Eric, to maybe scope this a little tighter, I’m mainly thinking about this field. Maybe a radio button with “Organization” and “No affiliation”, where selecting “Organization” enables the “Company” text field, and selecting “No affiliation” pre-fills “Individual - No Affiliation”?

3 Likes

Gotcha Brian; I misunderstood that you were commenting on the number of “None” orgs currently showing in the drop-down. Yes, Henry captured that feedback from Kenny above:

1 Like

Company name is a challenge both in terms of maintaining data integrity and plain old usability. Project admins may not always have sufficient knowledge about what the database is expecting for them to enter “International Business Machines” into the search box rather than “IBM” .

In a similar fashion the number of records that end up in the picklist then something like “Intel” is typed in makes it almost impossible to find.

If there could be some logic that would look as the most commonly used company name in the database as the first hit, or a “Do you mean…” suggestion, that would be chocolaty covered goodness.

2 Likes

• The voting and role start and end dates of committee members can only be viewed on the committee member’s individual page.

New (proposed) behavior in Committees

• I would like to be able to see the voting and role start and end dates at a glance on the committee main page without clicking into the individual member’s page to see the data. This will help project admins quickly get a sense if any committee members term end dates are nearing so that we can work out an election timeline to select the next committee members, for example.

Current behavior in Committees

• When a member leaves a committee for whatever reason (election or company’s membership change or switching representatives and etc.), I have to delete that committee member rather than put her or him in archive or inactivate status. We lose all the historical data of who was on the committee.

Proposed behavior in Committees
Project admins can set an end date for a committee member. Once the end date hits, that committee member goes into inactive or archived status that can be easily discovered or retrieved. I think this kind of historical committee membership data, is not only helpful to admins but also to member companies for institutional knowledge. Otherwise, I feel I still need to use spreadsheet to track my emeritus committee members or go through my emails to find the thread where we changed the committee members.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Hi Min,

Here is a mock-up from our UX team of this. Let me know what you think!

My expectation is this UI change could get implemented ASAP—unrelated to the more ambitious “per-project profile editing” I was describing in my original post.

3 Likes

Yes, this would be very helpful from my perspective because it displays the data that I need to see in one place. Thanks @emsearcy!

3 Likes

• When adding a new committee member, one has to manually enter every field, including data that is already populated in SFDC, so we are repeating data entry and making it more prone to error.

• Look up the information in SFDC based on email address and pre-populate as many fields as possible (but it seems like we may still need to edit the fields after pre-population to make sure the data matches the user’s particular role on the project.)

Does this sound like something useful and feasible?

• Is there any way to get the data OUT of LFX? I don’t see one.

• At a minimum provide a csv download for each committee. More ideally provide the data in a way we can consume dynamically. For example, send it to SFDC. Within SFDC we can generate reports easily; and there is a Salesforce plug-in that some of us use which lets us connect the SFDC reports to Google sheets. This is super helpful.

Do others think something like this would be useful?

This is what I was getting at with my original post. But if we ignore the current implementation (SFDC), which is a “flat” model, and just think about an ideal solution… Assuming you can edit (after the fact) in any project, as you suggest, then really we have a “multi-dimensional” profile, where each project is another potential “dimension” – a new/different profile for any given user. What I’m proposing is that, when you type in PCC, you are searching all “project profiles” of all users across all projects you have access to (and you could pick which “edited” variant you want, even), as well as “all users with their LFID profiles marked public”.

The latter (public LFID search) is similar to the SFDC data search you are proposing with, except that for privacy reasons we aren’t providing a global search of ALL LF users to PCC admins (which includes community members) – we’d just be allowing PCC admins to search across the data which would already be visible to them given their particular level of access to view each project (and staff members will have view access to every active/public project). In practice, this should 1) capture most engaged community members anyhow, and 2) if not, you’d at most need to enter their info once, and then they’d auto-complete in any additional screens you add them to.

That’s the heart of this proposal: moving from a flat CRM directory, where every admin (including community admins) either has edit access to change any given profile in a way that affects all users, or else has no ability to edit profiles (current behavior) … to a more flexible one that allows each project “tenant” in PCC a greater degree of agency, at the expense of complexity.

Feedback appreciated!

@Neal_Caidin hadn’t noticed that, but it would only have been a matter of time before I did. :slight_smile:
I completely agree that a csv export is pretty important in the short term. I’m less concerned about the SFDC plugin / google sheets integration at this time, but that is probably more of a reflection of where we are on our journey in LFN than anything.

I understand, but I have been using the Salesforce → Google Sheets integration quite a bit, and helps with my efficiency. I figure it couldn’t hurt to ask and the LFX team can tell me no, or not yet? But yes, hopefully a csv is relatively easy and of benefit to many.

Hi folks. I wanted to provide an update on the trajectory vs. my initial post.

As you may know, our current model is a single/flat layer of user data—effectively, what is in a user’s profile. My initial post proposed a “multi-dimensional” CRM-like model, where each project could have “agency” over their view of their user’s data (organization, title, name), while seeing any updates to a corresponding public user profile as a proposed (not automatic) update.

There have been a lot of additional feedback in this thread around committee management in this thread, but I don’t believe there has been any feedback on the concept of multiple per-project “dimensions” of user data (which was my main point for this post, along with how it would support searching and updates).

Our core data team is now moving forward with rolling out a simpler model: only 2 “databases” of user profiles: one being the user self-managed profiles, and the other a single, PCC-wide “CRM-like” contact profile. This will still allow PCC admins (including non-staff community managers) to make updates to committee member contact data. However, when any admin for any project can make a change to the “CRM” profile in their project, it will now affect the view for all other project admins. In addition to being simpler, this provides better consistency.

1 Like

@Kenny_Paul @Neal_Caidin yes, we’ll add CSV exports for committee members (it’s a higher-priority item on the roadmap now). When it is released, it will be restricted to only being available for LF-staff project admins, not non-staff project admins.

1 Like

Hi @emsearcy, do you know if we have the ability to have two committees associated with a single mailing list? For example, a single list that reaches both a board and TSC? Thanks!

(cross-posting from Project Admin Discussion)

Meeting Invitation bounces

Is there a way to see Meeting Invitation “bounces” from email addresses that may no longer work? Potentially a bounce report that could be generated?

@emsearcy - Do you have feedback for adding this feature and/or answering @Brett_Prestons quesion above?^

@Brett_Preston there is currently not a way to see bounces or receive a bounce report. This is certainly possible however, and we have already planned on doing something for this on our roadmap.

1 Like