What's Coming in Q4 for LFX

Q3 2022 LFX Release Notes

Release Scheduled: Monday, October 3, 2022

Hello everyone :cowboy_hat_face:,

Our LFX team has been working hard and we are excited to share what’s being released on Monday, October 3, 2022.

There’s a lot happening, and we hope that you will take a moment to look through the release notes below.

Don’t forget to hit ‘REPLY’ if you have any questions or comments regarding anything. :love_you_gesture:

New Version Insights

The upcoming Insights v2 release will include feature parity with v1, and will be fully integrated with our data lake infrastructure. Replacing Elasticsearch and Kibana has enabled us to introduce a completely new UX that features project trends and analytics on membership, events, webinars, and training/certification. Users will be automatically redirected to the new Insights v2 at launch.

Highlights

• A new public Organization Contributor Index dashboard
  • 100+ newly designed charts and graphs showing project growth, sustainability, and trends, all of which can be easily downloaded and shared
  • 55 foundation projects have already been onboarded, including the Linux kernel and CNCF

Find out more here: The New Release of LFX is Live! - Content & Articles - LFX Community Forums

Community Management v.1 for Project Admins

This alpha release of Community Management lets project admins explore the people who are contributing to their communities. You can now identify and reach out to contributors who are:

• New to the community
  • Your most active contributors
  • Contributors who might be drifting away
  • Find identity and profile matches, and tag project maintainers

Highlights

• Directly send thank you messages to contributors
  • Merge identities and find profile matches for contributors without an LF account
  • Identify maintainers within your project and reward them with badges

Organization Dashboard

A redesigned employee management dashboard makes it easier for members to identify and manage their employees. Members can now view project contributions based on multiple date ranges, and export data.

Highlights

• View employees based on engagement (active, less active, recently joined)
  • Ability to tag key project maintainers and OSPO contacts within your organization
  • More robust data visibility and data lake integration

Project Control Center

Insights v2 onboarding functionality for GitHub and big improvements to meeting management are featured in this release, including easier population of meeting attendees and committee members.

Highlights

• Improved lookup functionality and ability to directly email committees
  • Ability to manage sub-committees
  • Data lake integration

Additional Updates

Auto Join

Support for LF Europe added, and enabled multi-currency support in Join Now, CRM and NetSuite.

Data Collection & Enrichment

Continued data cleanup, and built out maintainers and OSPO leaders database.

PyTorch Launch Support

Supported the project formation team to get PyTorch quickly spun up in PCC, Organization Dashboard and Insights. Working with Meta on transition for EasyCLA and Security tooling.

1 Like

OMG I can’t wait for it to happen :upside_down_face:
I’m counting we can get AsyncAPI Initiative onboarded as fast as possible. Waiting for it for a few months already.

Great work folks!!!

2 Likes

Coming soon!..Thank you for your patience, and advocacy! @Lukasz_Gornicki !

I know we want to allow project administrators to be able to connect their GitHub repositories to Insights themselves on Project Control Center.

It’s on our roadmap!
PCC Integration - LFX Product Roadmap for Projects | Product Roadmap (productboard.com)

So hopefully we can get AsyncAPI Initiative onboarded as soon as possible! Once this release is out feel free to reach out anytime if you have any questions or comments :slight_smile:

1 Like

Interesting, looking forward to the release. The screenshots are of low resolution so I think I’ll have to wait for the release to really start experiencing it myself. The best part of the release for me is I heard that you will now be able to start onboarding the backlog of projects :smiley: Thanks for the continued efforts!

1 Like

Welcome to the community @nicorikken :love_you_gesture:.

Correct :partying_face: ! Just confirmed this with @emsearcy yesterday, so @Lukasz_Gornicki as long as the project sits on GitHub after this upcoming update the doors of holistic project analytics, or Insights are opened

Lets Go Door GIF by Regal

In subsequent updates we’ll be including Gerrit, Git, and then GitLab connector support for Insights v2.

@Henry_Quaye so did you make it? is out?

Hi @Lukasz_Gornicki Yes our new version of Insights is now out!

Check out our post here, and let me know if you have any questions :slight_smile: The New Release of LFX is Live! - Content & Articles - LFX Community Forums

1 Like

Hi, Henry,
in general I like the insights v2. A lot is there what we had to collect in a different way.
I will highly probably have some very concrete follow up questions in order to understand the how you are getting the data.
My first question thus is - in the repositories that need attention table “Issue Backlog” column is displayed but I was unable to find out how exactly you are getting that number. It did not match any repositories open issues count.

Help appreciated :).

Thanks,
Anton.

2 Likes

Hi Anton,

Thank you for your question. For this particular metric i.e. Issue Backlog, we only look at the number of issues that did not receive any acknowledgement in the form of either assignee or a comment. Hence the count of backlog might not match with the count of open issues when looked at the repo on Github.

Hope that helps.

We are open to feedback and suggestions so please feel free to suggest what/how can we improve so that we can better compute the metrics that are valuable to our users.

Thanks,
Sachin

2 Likes

Hi, Sachin,
thanks for the fast reply.
I did experiment a little with the filtering options. The closest to your suggestion seems the github filter: “is:issue is:open no:assignee comments:0” but that does not give the number insights indicate as the issue backlog.

Could you, please, provide me with an exact filter in github? I need it to understand the metric.

Thanks and best regards,
Anton.

1 Like

nice! just opened a request to enroll AsyncAPI

2 Likes

Perfect! @Lukasz_Gornicki Were you able to follow our documentation on how to onboard your Project, or did you open a request to become a project administrator for AsyncAPI on PCC to set everything up?

1 Like

Well, I assumed, probably wrong, that process is the same as last time. So I went to insights and clicked enroll button and created an issue in why I provided all data points I know.

afaik I’m already AsyncAPI admin in the system

1 Like

HI @Lukasz_Gornicki,

Do you already have access to our project control center (PCC). You can self onboard the project on Insights follow the documentation Connecting GitHub - Linux Foundation Documentation.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Sachin

1 Like

@Lukasz_Gornicki if your project uses a GitHub repo we have made it so if you have access to PCC you can onboard your project to Insights yourself :slight_smile:

Thanks @sgupta, @Lukasz_Gornicki I also created a step by step guide here: Insights Project Enrollment Guide - Content & Articles - LFX Community Forums

Let us know if you get your project onboarded :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing additional resources @Henry_Quaye. Hope this would help you self onboard your project on Insights @Lukasz_Gornicki.

Please let us know if you face any issues.

Cheers,
Sachin

1 Like

Hi, @sgupta ,
we were using the insights v1 on a regular basis for squad’s retrospective purposes. The v2 is really different and I am trying to make sense of it.
The charts do look useful though I need to understand the data beneath.

Could you, please, provide us with the filter, that would give me the same number of issues in zenhub or github as the “Issue Backlog” column in the repositories that need attention table?

Thanks and have a great weekend,
Anton.

1 Like

Hi @Anton_Brezina ,

We certainly can. Could you please provide us what do you expect as value for Issue Backlog? Are these just number of Open Issues in Github without any additional checks like comments or reviews or assignees. Meaning, you simply expect the backlog to represent the Github Issues where the state = open.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Sachin

1 Like

Hi, @sgupta ,
let’s speak very concretely. I work closely with the Open Mainframe Project. My main focus is with the api-layer repository.
This exhibits in the insights-v2 at this moment 72 issues in the issue backlog in the repositories that need attention chart.
However, in the github repository itself I see 146 open issues. Filter “is:issue is:open no:assignee comments:0” narrows it down to 76.

Over the last year the repositories that need attention chart shows in the table for the api-layer 3.64 as the Avg Merge Lead Time (Days) though the v1 insights show for the same time period only 2.146 Avg. Time To Merge (Days).

The insights v1 exhibit for the last year 46.117 Avg. Time To Close (Days) and the v2 in the repositories that need attention chart 30.36 as the Avg. Issue Resolution Time (Days).

…and there is much more - any time I look deeper into a particular metric, there are slight differences in insights v2 vs v1 or github.

I’d like to understand the discrepancies.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Anton.

2 Likes

I followed your instruction and setup all. Now just waiting probably a couple of hours to get the data in.

Man! your instruction was super helpful!!!

I’m only wondering why I do not have access to see this Insights