Set up project committees to improve coordination, reporting, and meeting management

msedge-3-YLn-DF9keg

Hi everyone,

LFX Project Control Center (PCC) provides many features to help you more efficiently manage your projects. A number of these features require proper project set up before they can be leveraged. Committees is one of the key project configurations required to access additional features in PCC.

These features and benefits include:

• Enabling automation of meeting and mailing list management

• Establishing a central view to better manage key project groups and stakeholders

• Ensuring proper attribution and data affiliation to support the accuracy of reports in Organization and Individual Dashboard.

In this recipe we will walk you through:

• How to access project control center

• Where to locate the Committees screen

• Configuring your committees

Once you’re done with this you can move on to other LFX Project Control Center goodness!

Let’s get started…

Step 1: Access Project Control Center

To access Project Control Center you need to have a Linux Foundation Community Profile If you do not have one, you can create one here, on the LFX Homepage:

Once you have logged in to your Community Profile you can access PCC using the following here at https://projectadmin.lfx.linuxfoundation.org/

Note: You will get the access_denied message if you are accessing the link for the first time.

• Click the Request Access link to provide your contact details to the support team.

• The support team will verify the account and will authorize the associated SSO account.

• This is necessary to manage the limited beta and ensure only authorized project administrators can edit project configurations

Step 2: Select your project

On the default Projects page of PCC, you should see a list of all projects, you will not be able to edit any data on a project your LFID (Community Profile) is not affiliated with.

Click on My Projects in the main view and select your project, or use the search box on the left-hand navigation to locate your project:

Now select your project.

Step 3: Navigate to Committees

Under the Project->Setup menu, click on Committees

Step 4: Add a Committee

You will be directed to the Setup / Committees page. Next click on the +Add Committee button to begin creating your new committee.

On the Create Committee page, add/update committee details. Click Save when done:

Be sure to select the proper committee type.

Click next.

Now click save.

Step 5: Add members

Now that you have created your committee, you will be directed to the Add Committee Members page.

Fill in the member’s details:

Note:
When adding a new Member to a Voting Committee you will see additional fields.

It is important to add members for proper attribution and data affiliation to support the accuracy of reports in the Organization and Individual Dashboards.

Step 6: Continue the process

Proceed to repeat the above steps for all of your committees and members.

Note:
It is important to configure project Governance committees and any committee associated with critical mailing lists.

Step 7: Recognize Benefits

Now that you have the committees established you can gain the benefits of:

• Automation from meeting and mailing list management

• A central view to better manage key project groups and stakeholders

• Proper attribution and data affiliation to support the accuracy of reports in Organization and Individual Dashboard

In our subsequent recipes, we will cover the set-up of Meeting Management and Mailing lists.

Here’s a video diving deeper into configuring your committees in LFX Project Control Center:

What other benefits of Project Control center are you interested in learning about?

Hit REPLY we would love to know!

1 Like

Hey everyone! Happy Tuesday! Have you guys been able to configure your committees?

• Yes, all configured
  • Not yet, still in the process
  • No, not configured
0 voters

As configuring your committees is an essential component to unlock other benefits of PCC, such as meeting management, we would love to know how the process is going for everyone.

• If you’re all set up, great job! Give this post a heart and reply with your favorite emoji :rocket:
  • If you’re still in the process, let us know how we can help you get past any questions. :handshake:
  • If it’s not configured, share with us any concerns, so you can help us help YOU! :grin:

This is a space for honest feedback from our LFX users, to see how we can make this onboarding as seamless as possible :sunglasses:

Thanks for this post! A few questions…

1. When new people join the mailing list associated with the given committee, will they automatically be added to the committee? And vise-versa - adding one to a committee adds them to a mailing list?
  2. Is there a lookup function to add people to a committee versus having to enter everyone’s information again?
  3. Is there a way to add a person to multiple committees at once?
  4. Is the committee members available via a public API?
  5. Could we have access to the bio, headshot, and social handles for the given person as well?

Thanks again and look forward to starting to use this more.

2 Likes

My pleasure, thank you for the post!

I have brought this up with our product team and will inform you as soon as I hear back.

Welcome to the community John! :sunglasses:

+1 to the automated sync to mailing lists and lookups so that we don’t end up with duplicate information.

I will also add - can we please make “Company” an optional field? Or include a tooltip with default text that should be entered for people participating in their capacities as individuals?

2 Likes

Yes - please let’s have the Organization field optional everywhere. Including for Zoom webinar registrations.

1 Like

Hey John, Brian,

For question 1: We currently sync members who are added to a committee to an associated mailing list (assuming they match the voting status filters, if any). We do not sync members on mailing lists into committees, however.

1. There is a lookup that happens when you enter information on a committee member. If we can find a matching user based on the email address, we use the data we have via the user-service rather than relying on what you’ve entered. We tested doing a lookup on a name, but it can be a fairly long list if a user has a common name.

2. There is no capability for this in PCC at this time.

3. It depends on what you mean by public. The API PCC uses is just as accessible to you as it is to PCC (PCC is an SPA, after all). If you have permissions to view the committee you can see it via the API.

4. I’ve made note of this request.

1 Like

Thank you @jme!
Tagging @John_Mertic, and @Brian_Warner for visibility.

Thank you for your questions, @John_Mertic and @Brian_Warner, thinking out loud here, would it be of additional value to you to also include short how-to videos along with our “recipes” on tool capabilities?

1 Like

@Henry_Quaye maybe for others? But in the context of this thread, just knowing where they are on the roadmap (thank you for the succinct answers, @jme) is the most valuable outcome.

1 Like

Sounds good, thank you @Brian_Warner, I’ll be sure to make an effort to incorporate future road map details in these “recipes”.

1 Like

A few more requests for the feature queue:

• Can we please make “Job Title” optional too?
  • Can we please have the ability to view all members, as opposed to having pagination?
  • Please add the ability to sort by name, email, affiliation, and voting status.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hey, @jme do you have any input on this?

Hi @Brian_Warner thanks for the feature requests, we’ll be sure to capture them. I know for committees there may be business reasons to keep the “title” required, but we won’t have it required everywhere (for instance, when managing mailing lists). I’ll discuss the committees requirement with our platform team.

1 Like

Hi,

The requirement for Job Title is particularly onerous. I don’t know the job titles of any of my community members, so I go look them up in LinkedIn. Sometimes LFX takes my suggestion and sometimes it reverts to a job title that I imagine is stored with the user profile somewhere and managed by the user. Additionally, if I make a mistake in the job title it does not seem to let me edit. Having to go back and forth with LinkedIn though is what makes the process most time consuming for me. Am I doing this wrong?

It would be cool if we could first put in the user email address and you could have LFX look up as much information as possible about the person and pre-populate?

Thanks for considering.

3 Likes

Question - when we link a committee with a new groups.io email list, LFX pre-populates the email list with a number of administrative accounts. Who controls what goes on the list? For Yocto Project there are two LF people on the pre-populated list who are no longer associated with the project. I manually removed them from the groups.io list, of course.

Do I need to open a Jira for this one?

Thanks.

Hi @Neal_Caidin, welcome to the community!

Thank you for the feedback, due to our community feedback this is something we are implementing in our next iteration of committee/project user management.

Refer to this post: Feedback for next iteration of committee/project user management - Get LFX Tool Help / LFX Project Control Center [BETA] - LFX Community Forums

If you have any other feedback referring to committee/project user management please refer to the linked community post above, our product team is working to make the improvements most useful to our community. :slight_smile:

Hello @Neal_Caidin, Project Control Center should populate the mailing list with members included in the committee.

Is this still occurring?

Hi Neal, the “owners” of the main/parent list are what you are seeing automatically assigned to each new sublist (which is being done by PCC/ITX). In the groups.io interface, owners on the main list automatically have access to every sublist, but unless they are added explicitly to the list, they don’t see every list they have admin access to in the Groups.io UI (for private lists, that is; even though they can navigate to them by URL and then manage them). Based on past user feedback, to help remediate this confusion on the Groups.io UI, we were explicitly adding these global owners as explicit subgroup owners.

Now that we’ve deployed list member management in PCC, including the ability to assign moderators, in my opinion we should stop auto-assigning owners (or moderators) to subgroups based on main-group permissions. What do you think?

Regardless, if they’re not involved with the project, you still should remove them as owners on the main list. You can also do this in PCC by unchecking “Moderator” … that removes Owner rights as well if the user in question is a full Owner, not just a Moderator.