Getting Started Introductions

Welcome to the LFX Community Forum!

We are glad you made it! We are a community for open source communities set on empowering one another to best establish, maintain, and scale our open source ecosystems.

It’s important to create a space for you to share a little more about who you are and all the cool things you do in this beautiful world.

Let’s begin with a few introductions…

1. Who are you?
  2. What projects are you working on?
  3. Share an interesting fact about yourself that nobody knows!

Jump in, engage, ask questions and let’s drive the impact of open source through LFX together! :rocket:

Angkasapura1 Ap1 GIF by Angkasa Pura Airports

Once completed check out the following posts to get you started:

13 Likes

Hello everyone! I’ll start us off!

1. My name is Henry.
  2. I am the Associate Community Manager working with LFX.
  3. I know it’s crazy, but I love to “sometimes” eat sauce and peanut butter plain.
    Andy Cohen Wtf GIF by loveconnectionfox

It’s a pleasure to meet everyone!

2 Likes

Hey, Everyone!

I am Jono, and I help companies build communities. I have been around the open source world since 1998 and have worked closely within the Linux Foundation world for many years.

I am super-excited about LFX and seeing the community form here! Thanks @Henry_Quaye for getting the ball rolling!

In terms of a fact, I play in a metal band where I write all the music. Here is one of our songs:

:slight_smile:

7 Likes

Welcome to the community @jonobacon!

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I’m Nick Vidal, and a community manager for the Enarx project, part of the Confidential Computing Consortium.

An interesting fact about myself is that I helped the OSI to celebrate the 20 years of Open Source and I fell in love with celebrating anniversaries, so I decide to create a website dedicated to telling the story of several movements: open source, Linux, etc.

Happy to join the LFX community and collaborate with each one of you!

3 Likes

@NickVidal - Thank you Nick for creating and posting the 20 Years of Open Source Website. It’s really interesting. Are there one or two milestones that stand out to you?

2 Likes

Thank you @Jen_Shelby!

Clearly the founding of the WWW, the launch of Linux, and the release of Wikipedia are the highlights.

Did you get a chance to introduce yourself?

3 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m Matthew Miller, and I’m the Fedora Project Leader.

I’m not sure there are any interesting facts about me that nobody knows. I mean, there’s probably plenty of things that might be interesting, but I don’t have very many secrets. If anything, I’m happy to over-share.

But in the context here, how about: although my actual day-job does not really leave any time for technical contribution, I enjoy the Discourse forum software and love that something that’s 100% open source is becoming the de-facto choice for asynchronous communication. And I’ve had a lot of fun recently pushing the platform to do things it wasn’t originally meant to do, like integrating Fedora Badges into Discourse’s own badging system.

5 Likes

Hi everyone ,
I am Rishabh Raghwendra , pursuing engineering in Computer Science and currently in my 2nd year . I love to build something exciting using my skillset as shown below:
Language: C++,Python,JavaScript,HTML,CSS,SASS
Frameworks: Reactjs,tKinter
Skills: Data Structures & Algorithms
Tools: Git,Docker,Firebase
Primary OS: Ubuntu( Linux )

I love to contribute to open source . I want to work on more amazing projects with amazing people around the Globe . I am also looking to apply for mentorship program in this upcoming year.

3 Likes

high five how i met your mother GIF

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @mattdm !
Welcome To The Team GIF by Peloton

The badges look great!

2 Likes

Hey, @mattdm, would you mind kicking off a new topic and sharing what you did to integrate these badging systems? Would love to learn more.

1 Like

Of course! See:

Thanks! Another thing not mentioned in the above post: the template for the images for the existing system for some reason takes the SVGs to a PNG with a lot of transparent border, which means they end up shrunken more than they really should be. The design team is going to go through and clean them all up, so they should look even better when that’s done.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

My name is Hartanto, I’m currently studying in Singapore, and I’m one of the committer for the COBOL Programming Course!

Can’t think of any secret facts, everything seems to be public… But in any case, before becoming a committer, I was a summer mentee for the course and it was my first exposure to open-source contribution.

Also, if you’re interested to take the course, it is linked above (p.s. it came with a lab for you to try out COBOL)! I’m totally not here to brainwash people into taking the course :wink:.

2 Likes

Hi there @hartanto nice to meet you! Welcome to the community :smiley:

That’s awesome! I would love to know more about you’re mentorship experience and what you’re up to now, maybe you can create a topic on it in General Discussions…

Summary

and even promote you’re training course a bit more aswell :wink: haha

Hi @Berlynsea!

Great to know! If members are interested in joining the beta program could they be directed to Member Support? Also, feel free to seek additional assistance here anytime if members may have questions regarding LFX!

Can’t say I’ve ever seen a bee ride a horse :sweat_smile::face_with_hand_over_mouth: … Welcome to the community @Berlynsea!

Hey Bee-

1. Welcome to the forum!
  2. Would love to know why kind of questions you get from Members- we’d like to support you as well.
  3. Horses… my daughter’s passion. :racehorse:

I’m Jason Perlow (@jperlow), Linux Foundation Research Editorial Director.

Some of you may know me from my long-standing column on ZDNet but I am also a big foodie. I like bagels but I really don’t want you to make them into sandwiches.

1 Like

Hi @Henry_Quaye,

Private beta access is reserved for and automatically enabled for Platinum and Gold members. If a Silver member feels they will benefit in a significant manner from LFX, they may be directed to Member Support for a case-by-case approval process.

Thanks for the warm welcome, Henry!