Document scanning (TWAIN Working Group)

Hello everyone,

My name is Kevin Neal (CEO of P3iD Technologies) and Marketing Chair of the not for profit group, TWAIN Working Group (TWG - https://twain.org/). TWG has developed a document scanner open source API called TWAIN Direct (https://twaindirect.org/).

I’m looking to see if there is some interest among the LFX community to add document scanning to your applications? We think so but we like to get some more validation.

Thanks,
Kevin

1 Like

@Kevin_Neal - welcome to the community, nice to have you… I will leave it to the community to connect with you directly if they have interest.

• Jen
2 Likes

Hi @Jen_Shelby , I’ve been a big fan of LFX for a long time so I look forward to giving back to the community.

-Kevin

2 Likes

Hello @Kevin_Neal - maybe you could share with the community the benefits of using the API?

Jen

2 Likes

Hello @Jen_Shelby , great idea!

Very simply TWAIN Direct is a document scanner RESTful API which can be exposed as a Web Service. The traditional TWAIN Classic document scanner specification was a compiled scanner driver, usually for Windows operating systems, which didn’t offer easy integration especially to cloud services. Obviously as an API, and a Web Service, using document scanners with TWAIN Direct in Linux/VDI environments is MUCH more appealing!

For those that want to dig deeper into the TWAIN Direct project, here is a video that discusses some examples of very successful Open Source projects as well as “TWAIN Direct as a business strategy, not just a technology”: TWAIN Direct as a Business Strategy webinar_June 17 2021.mp4 on Vimeo

Thanks,
Kevin

twain direct dev day

Hello LFX community,

The TWAIN Working Group is tentatively planning on hosting a hybrid event on November 8-9, 2022 in Tampa, Florida entitled “TWAIN Direct Developers Day 2022”. So we’d like to share some details with people interested in this 1 day event to develop a fully functional document scanning application. Here is a video link to a recording describing what to expect at Developers Day: The Future of Edge Capture - TWAIN Direct Developers Day 2022.mp4 on Vimeo

2 Likes

Hello @Kevin_Neal this is great! I just came back from LFN’s Developer Forum last week and several developers asked about implementing document scanning in their projects.

@Kenny_Paul or @Casey_Cain do you think this could be useful for the LFN community?

1 Like

Hello @Henry_Quaye. The TWAIN Working Group suspected that developers might be interested in implementing document scanning in their projects so this is good confirmation. As we are organizing our Developers Day event in early November, it’s given us motivation to make implementation as quick and easy as possible. So anyone that wants to review our process and sample source code to integrate TWAIN Direct scanning, then we’d love the opportunity to get feedback.

1 Like

Hi @Henry_Quaye,

Thanks for the ping. Needless to say, all of your conversations with the attendees in Porto were in a completely different context than any of mine would have been, but I can imagine a couple scenarios where the topic of doc scanning might have come up while you were talking to folks. :slight_smile:

After taking a quick peek I’m not sure there is much opportunity for direct collaboration between our communities in terms of a solution and/or integration point. LFN’s traditional play space is quite a bit further down the communications stack than the space the TWAIN Working Group seems to be addressing. @Casey_Cain may have a different opinion on that. :man_shrugging:

-kenny